Roto-blog

there's always a wind-up

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Supergirl

Thinking of the things I want for this blog, I am reminded of the Fugs tune. Tunes are funny that way. For some people tunes define a moment, a relationship, even an era. I guess the Fugs defined my era. Except I am the only person I know from that era. But that's not what I'm here to talk about. Instead, I wanted to mention the importance of doing things the wrong way. It is important, in retrospect, that I know this tune, and several others. It is funny that my first sweetheart and I shared an interest in musically inspired recklessness. She liked the Holy Modal Rounders and the Youngbloods. I liked the Fugs and all sorts of crazy shit. What's even funnier is that the inspired mayhem was very much a product of particular individuals. Characters. That inspiration was necessary, as an antidote to the certainties of youthful existence. More importantly, I can sing that tune to myself and know that I've been singing it to myself since I was a kid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home